Friday, June 8, 2012

The Return of the Chemo

Quite a lot has happened since my last post. This past Tuesday I met with Dr. Wagner. I was uncertain whether he'd try to argue in favor of surgery still, or if he'd go along with what the other oncologists suggested at the cancer conference.

Frankly, I was concerned I was going to be the one that needed to make the decision ultimately. Jason and I had been praying that the right decision would be revealed to us. I don't argue with God's plans, as He always knows what is best for us. And as it turns out, we were not even given a decision to choose from.

When I saw my doctor, he had my next chemo regimen outlined for me. Three months of treatment using Taxol. I go in once a week for it, and they drip it slow (over 2-3 hours) so as to prevent any infusion related allergies from popping up. They didn't waste any time, as the first time I started chemotherapy. My first infusion was yesterday. One down, with 11 more to go.

Chemo treatment #5 - 1/12 of Taxol.

The dosage is much lower, and obviously not dose dense as the Adriamycin/Cytoxan cocktail was. They give me the usual Zofran to prevent any nausea, and Benadryl this time. Again, preventative measures for any infusion related allergic reaction. It knocked me out, and Jason took the opportunity to take a stunning photo of me passed out that I think I'll refrain from posting here. Lol

So far, praise the Lord, I feel okay. Tired and a bit off, but okay. I hear you get muscle aches and such with this medication. So we shall see. My face has been flushed since I woke up this morning, and I'm assuming that is a side effect too?  I've also been having a ton of hot flashes, but that was happening before I started this med. I think the warm weather doesn't help that any either. Boo to you hot flashes!

This time around I'm not taking the Neulasta that helped boost my WBC, so I'm more susceptible to infection than last time. This coupled with the demands of how often I need to go in for treatment led me to choose to pursue short term disability from work. I'm bummed, because I really felt that seeing my lovely friends at work helped me to feel like life was normal for a bit through this. But I still think it's the most responsible choice I can make.

I called today and got the ball rolling on all that. I imagine it will take a bit before I see any compensation, but I'm just happy to have my job protected. I told my boss that I fully intend on returning when my 3 months of treatment are completed. So he better be counting on that! ;)

I'm certainly going to miss my Starbucks family during my hiatus! I've met some awesome people there, and hope they know how much I appreciate them and their support too. I'm still going to go visit whenever I feel okay (and when my fave people are working >:D).

Anyhow, so surgery will now most likely happen in September or October. So I don't have to worry about that for now. I'm such a weirdo though. I keep thinking, "Aw man! I hope I can still do the Susan G. Komen walk in November!". Haha.

Next Monday I'm going to go to my first support group held at the Womens Wellness Center I've gone to for all my imaging and such. Susann (my nurse navigator) leads it, and she's been trying to get me come to it for months. I think I'm now far enough along in my journey that I'd feel like I have something to talk about, and would be less likely to be scared off by others' stories. I'll let you all know how that goes too. :)

So that's the news for now! Thanks again for taking the time to follow along with me, and I hope you all have a blessed and happy fun-filled weekend.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  John 16:33

1 comment:

  1. Your friendship is one of the best things I've gotten out of Starbucks ;) xoxo